Spring has arrived for those of us living in the Southern Hemisphere….and the new season brings with it a sense of hope with renewed energy. But, some of us may be feeling less than in tip top shape & feeling down right sluggish after all that excess winter grazing.
A simple way to start feeling better everyday as we head into summer is to have a daily morning detox drink – and I have just the recipe for you. Does it taste wonderful? No. But it will put you on the road to feeling better. It’s a simple recipe that aids natural detoxification & includes apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon & cayenne pepper.
- 1 cup hot or warm water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (look for the “mother” type – strands of proteins, enzymes & friendly bacteria that give the product a murky appearance)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (optional – you may really want to add the honey as the other flavours are strong!)
Mix all the ingredients together in your warm water & drink.
Apart from excess eating that often happens in winter, daily toxins & chemicals build up in our systems that threaten our health. Detox drinks help to cleanse & purify our body, clearing out toxic overload that can leave you feeling bloated, achy, moody & tired.
The ingredients in this detox drink are some of the best ingredients for detoxification, and here’s why:
- Has an alkaline effect on your body & helps regulate pH levels. Lemons are high in vitamin C, that is a natural antioxidant, which helps protect cells from damaging free radicals. Vitamin C may also reduce your risk of stroke & cardio vascular disease & it can lower blood pressure.
- The polyphenol antioxidants found in lemons has been reported to reduce weigh gain.
- Vitamic C is great for younger looking skin – and it helps to reduce wrinkles, with dry skin & damage from the sun.
- Vitamin C has also been found to be a natural laxative which helps to prevent constipation.
- One caution though: lemon contains citric acid which can erode tooth enamel, so drink your detox drink through a straw to limit the exposure on your teeth & rinse your mouth with plain water afterwards.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- Acetic acid is the main substance in vinegar, which can kill harmful bacteria & prevent them from multiplying.
- Has been shown to improve digestion function & your metabolism, while it cleanses your liver & lymphatic system.
- Can increase the good cholesterol – which helps maintain a healthy heart & cardiovascular system.
- Unfiltered apple cider vinegar has been shown to reduce belly fat.
- Can inhibit the growth of cancer cells and therefore lower your chances of getting cancer. It also assists in shrinking existing tumours.
- Osteoporosis is a very real threat in women – 25% of women are diagnosed with it every year. The vinegar helps prevent bones from becoming brittle, & strengthens your skeletal system and allows your body to properly absorb needed calcium.
- Boosts Longevity – with it’s powerful antioxidant abilities it can prevent premature ageing, also slowing the ageing process & making you feel younger.
- Reduces free radicals in your body – the vinegar actually harvests the free radicals in your body. Free radicals can cause problems like arthritis, immune disease & even emphysema.
Aids with digestion – it helps with the body’s ability to empty food from the stomach more quickly.
The more efficient your digestion is the more energy you will have & the better you will feel.
Improves blood pressure by acting as a vasodilator – it expands your blood vessels, which increases the circulation in your body.
It is high in potassium – it has more potassium per 100grams than a banana, a food known for it’s high potassium levels. Potassium is a mineral that lowers blood pressure.
Reduces nausea – seasickness & vomiting. It helps post with surgery nausea & nausea from chemotherapy treatment.
- Is loaded with antioxidants, and protects your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
- Has anti-inflamatory properties, helps your body fight infections & repairs tissue damage and can help with the risk of disease.
- Reduces levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol & triglycerides.
- Increases insulin sensitivity, thereby lowering blood sugar levels.
- On research in animals, cinnamon has shown various improvements with Alzheimer’s & Parkinson’s disease. Human research has yet to be done.
- May protect against cancer as it appears to be toxic to cancer cells, causing cell death.
- There are 2 types of cinnamon – Cassia & Ceylon (“true” cinnamon) Ceylon being better in this regard. Ceylon cinnamon can be found in health food stores. Casia cinnamon is what is usually found in supermarkets.
- Capsaicin is the active ingredient in cayenne peppers – this is what gives them their medicinal properties.
- The Capsaicin has metabolism boosting properties. It increase the amount of heat your body produces, which makes you burn more calories per day.
- May help reduce hunger, helping you eat less in the day.
- Has been shown to reduce blood pressure.
- Research has shown that raw honey can kill unwanted bacteria & fungus, it also naturally contains hydrogen peroxide – an antiseptic.
- Is a good source of anti-oxidants, raw honey contains a large amount of plant chemicals that act as anti-oxidants.
- Is loaded with phytonutrients – these are compounds found in plants that help protect the plant from harm.
- Is a potent prebiotic – meaning it nourishes the good bacteria that live in the intestines which is essential for overall health.